Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sausage Gravy

So, my four year marriage anniversary is on Wednesday. When I was 16 years old, I met my now husband, and at 18 we were married. Now I am almost 23, with two little girls, and ver in love with my husband. Every day I fall more and more in love with him and I often wonder how I got so lucky. I try to show him daily that I love him, and I often just do what I know how to do best: cook for him.
Tonight he worked a really, really long day, and he came home tired and hungry. I know one of his favorite breakfast meals is biscuits and gravy, and I often like to surprise him with breakfast for dinner, so that's exactly what I made him tonight.
I often enjoy a sweet breakfast like french toast or pancakes, but nothing compares to delicious biscuits and gravy. It's so comforting, homey.  It feels familiar. That's what you want on days where you work really late. You want to come home to something familiar and comforting. Not only does Shane get to come home to 3 smiling ladies, he also came home to a hot plate of biscuits, gravy, and eggs. 
I'll warn you, this meal is not good for you. But, once in a while it's nice to treat yourself. Right? 

This is the kind of breakfast you can whip up in 10 minutes. Before learning to make sausage gravy, I thought it was probably pretty difficult and was surprised when I found it out was simply 4 steps. Easy enough right? Sometimes I make my own drop biscuits to pair with it, but tonight for sake of a fast meal for this hungry husband, I just used grand's biscuits. 

Recpe:

Jimmy Deans ground breakfast sausage
just under 1/2  cup flour
1 stick butter
4 cups whole milk
pepper
salt


Begin by browning your sausage. When browned, add a stick of butter and melt. When melted, add your flour and stir. Make sure this is well stirred and cooked so you don't end up with that raw yucky flour taste. When combined, add your milk and let bubble on the stove until it begins to thicken. When thickened, add salt and pepper to taste. (Usually sausage gravy is heavy on the pepper but use to your liking!)

Simple, right? Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog (reading Vixen Vintage blog), I saw some of your post and everything looks really good! I'm hungry now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzy! Thank you for reading! If you try any of these recipes let me know what you'd think- I'd love feedback!

    ReplyDelete