Sunday, March 17, 2013

Homemade Puff Pastry and Cheese Danish


It would be somewhat of an understatement to say that I love cheese danish. I would go as far as to say I mildly obsessed with cheese danish.  There's something about the light flaky dough and the creamy filling ( in this case, the slightly lemon-y creamy filling. *drool*). But, to make puff pastry is a GIANT chore. I've seen 36 hour long recipes. No thanks. When I want a cheese danish, I kinda want it right then and there. 
So, it's up to you- whether you want to buy pre made puff pastry of follow this link to make your own like I did, it's up to you. 
Whenever I make these cheese danishes, they never seem to last long. I think when I make them I get to sample one, and then they're eaten up by everyone else. I suppose that means they came out good, but it also makes me cry a little bit to myself. 
Plus, theres nothing like homemade, right? 


Recipe:
(For the cheese filling)

8 ounces of cream cheese softened
1/3 cup of sugar
3 tablespoon sour cream
3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
3 egg yolks at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 2 lemons
puff pastry dough (again, either store bought or follow the link a above for homemade)
1 egg beaten for egg wash



Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a pan with parchment paper. 
Add the cream cheese and sugar and cream them together, then add the egg yolks. On low, add the ricotta, sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Mix it until its combined, but make sure not to whip it. 
Roll out your dough on a floured surface to a 10x10 square. Cut the dough into 4  squares and add a heaping amount of cheese mixture. Brush the egg wash along the sides of the square, and fold the two opposite ends into the center, and again on the other side, and brush the top of the pastry with egg wash. Continue with remaining squares. 

Bake the pastries for 20 minutes.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment