Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Apple Tatin


So, I've never made a tatin but I have always wanted to. I had a few friends over for dinner last night, and they joke that I only cook non-American food, or mainly French food, so I set out to prove them wrong and made chili. Aha! Can't make fun of me now, can they? Then I realized, I need to make dessert and I had all the things for a tatin (they always also joke that I never have ingredients on hand and make constant runs to the store) so that's what I made. 
Then I realized it was French and my whole point was ruined.
Darn it!
A tarte tatin is is a tart that is baked upside down, with caramel. It was created in the late 1800's in France by the Tatin sisters. There are many rumors as to how exactly a tatin came about, but it is said that one of the sisters made an error while baking a tart and just went with it, and served it to the guests anyway, and it was very well received. 
Tatins are usually made with apples, traditionally, but also are delicious with pears, peaches, pineapple, cherries, etc. Possibilities are endless. 

Recipe:

Six tablespoons butter plus extra for greasing pan
2 apples cut into 12 slices (or more)
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
confectioners sugar

Start by peeling & cutting your apples into 12 pieces and rearrange in a very well buttered cake pan.
Preheat the oven to 350.
Take out a saucepan and add 3/4  cup sugar and 3/4 cup of water over high heat, let caramelize until a light amber color. Remove from heat and pour evenly over apples. 

In an electric mixer, add 6 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of sugar and beat until creamy. Add in one egg at a time, followed by sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla.
Take  separate bowl and add flour, baking soda, and salt and sift. 
Add to electric mixer until blended. 

Pour batter over apples.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes until it comes out clean with a toothpick or knife.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment