Friday, October 19, 2012

Peach and Blackberry Smoothie 
With Coconut Oil and Raw Indian Honey


So, for the last few days, I have been eating just horribly. I abandoned my diet and just ate everything I came across. It was fun and horrible all at the same time. I woke up feeling yucky and ashamed and decided I need to get back on track, even more then i was before. So, you'll be seeing a lot more healthy recipes in here now.
I never eat breakfast. It freaks me out. But, I can drink a smoothie in the morning at least, and that's what I decided to do today. I love smoothies. Shane likes to tell me that it's a bad idea to drink your calories, which he has a point, but this smoothie tends to keep me full until lunch, so I don't see what the problem is.
This smoothie has coconut oil in it. Coconut oil is by far one of my favorite health foods. When buying coconut oil, make sure that it is unrefined and pure.. preferably saying "extra virgin". Refined coconut oil has undergone bleaching and deodorizing, where extra virgin coconut oil has not. With the extra virgin, they squeeze the oil out of the meat of the coconut quickly.

Coconut oil has a ton of benefits. Ranging from heart health, shiny hair, weight loss, lower risk of diabetes, etc. I love it. But, it is high in saturated fat. It is 90% saturated fat, in fact. Although there is conflicting research over the fact that coconut oil actually improves heart health, even though it is a SF.
We also have raw Indian honey in this smoothie. Raw honey is also incredible for health. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral. It helps with allergies, colds, sore throats. Also, it tastes a heck of a lot better then the honey that comes in those creepy little bear containers. 

Recipe:

1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 banana
1 cup of juice ( I used blueberry pomegranate, but I usually use orange)
1/2 cup frozen peaches
1/2 cup frozen blackberries


Throw it in a blender, and blend! That simple. :P

Thanks for reading & enjoy.

-Danielle

1 comment:

  1. I got this recipe from you one time and it is my go to smoothie recipe! It is absolutely delicious and so versatile! Thank you again and I love this blog!!

    ReplyDelete